- There is really only one directory or file in storage, and the link. The space required is not doubled.
- It is a direct access to a directory or file
- It can be done to directory and files located on external drives or other partitions
mklink path_simlink_file path_file_real mklink /D path_simlink_directory path_directory_real
- The space requirements are double because there are really two files. The original file is duplicated.
- For files only
- If the original file is deleted the file on the hard link is not deleted
mklink /H path_hardlink path_file_real
- Space requirements are not duplicated, since what it does is join two directories as if they were one by combining what they contain both
- For directories only
- Junctions can only be queried from the cmd console
- If a directory is deleted from the junction, the junction is deleted
mklink /J path_directory_1_junction path_directory_2_junction
To consult the existing simlinks, hard links and junctions, execute the following command from the cmd console: